Jersey letters of administration fast track services for UK estates
For applications from the United Kingdom/Isle of Man/Guernsey where the deceased died without a Will, and was therefore intestate, it is possible to use fast track application for Letters of Administration.
A fast track application for Letters of Administration must be made through a Jersey agent such as Parslows.
Is probate required?
Under Jersey law, unless a Jersey estate is worth less than £10,000 at the date of death, a Jersey Grant of Probate is required to enable the personal representatives to administer the Jersey estate.
Are death duties, estate duty, inheritance tax or capital gains taxes payable in Jersey?
While there are no death duties, estate duty, inheritance tax or capital gains taxes in Jersey, stamp duty is payable.
Value (at date of death)
£00.00 – £10,000
£10,001 – £20,000
£20,001 – £30,000
£30,001 – £40,000
£40,001 – £50,000
£50,001 – £60,000
£60,001 – £70,000
£70,001 – £80,000
£80,001 – £90,000
£90,001 – £100,000
Thereafter, for each £10,000 (or part thereof) add £75.
The Probate Registrar will also levy a flat stamp duty fee on all applications. This is presently £80.
Please also note that the Royal Court Probate Department reserves the right to charge an additional sum of £75.00 for reviewing paperwork pursuant to an application.
Required documents for application
The following documents are required to make a Jersey Letters of Administration application:
- A certified copy of the death certificate.
- A court sealed and certified copy of the Letters of Administration, from the deceased’s country of domicile. This must bear the original court seal and certification to confirm that it is a true copy.
- Copy correspondence from the Jersey financial institution, confirming details of the Jersey assets maintained by the deceased and the date of death value. It should be noted that all probate documentation will be retained permanently by the Probate Registrar in Jersey.
To enable us to proceed with the application we will require the following confirmations:
- That the deceased did not have any other assets or liabilities in Jersey.
- That the deceased never resided in Jersey.
- That the deceased left no other Wills at all.
Parslows is one of the leading providers of probate services and legal advice in Jersey and our reputation as pragmatic but sensitive lawyers is second to none. If you need assistance obtaining probate in Jersey, our experienced probate professionals are here to advise you every step of the way. Our specialist probate lawyers and solicitors have many years of experience helping people to apply for a grant of probate or grant of letters of administration, and we’ve worked with clients both in the United Kingdom and across the globe successfully obtaining probate (or letters of administration) for clients.