8 Hill Street St Helier Jersey JE2 4UA

Civil Partnership Dissolution Woman: We offer free no obligation initial meetings

Parslows Jersey | Civil partnership dissolution department team members offer free no obligation initial meetings to discuss your issues (t&cs apply)

Our clients rate us highly

Thank you both from the bottom of my heart for helping with this case.  I will now look to make my children’s lives more inclusive and hopefully give them direction and guidance to help them in the future.

Need a bit more information?

How long do I have to be married to get a civil partnership dissolution?

It is not possible to apply for a dissolution until at least three years after the date of your civil partnership (there are limited exceptions to this). Furthermore,  either or both of the parties must live in Jersey, or at least one of them must have lived in Jersey for the past year, at the time proceedings begin.

What are the grounds to get a civil partnership dissolution?

The grounds for a disolution in Jersey are:

Behaviour: That the other party has behaved in such a way that he or she cannot reasonably be expected to live with the other party.

Desertion: That the other party has deserted him or her for the last two years at least. In practice, desertion is not often used as a ground for divorce.

One years’ separation: That the parties to the partnership have lived apart for at least the last year and the other agrees to a dissolution.

Two years’ separation: That the parties to the civil partnership have lived apart for the last two years (whether or not the other agrees to a dissolution).

Applying for a dissolution

To apply for a dissolution, a person must issue what is called a cause application. This is is a legal document setting out the basis on which the dissolution is sought and the facts to be relied on. The cause application is issued by sending it to the court with the civil partnership certificate and a fee.

Service of the cause application papers

Once a cause application has been issued a copy must be given to the other party to the partnership. The other party must complete and send to the court a form to say that he or she  has received the cause application and whether the case is to be contested. This is called an acknowledgement of service (CP4).

Once the cause application has been served

In the acknowledgement of service, the other side must say whether he or she will defend the claim for civil partnership dissolution. If he or she does, he or she must send the court what is called an answer, that is a written statement saying why it is denied that the applicant should have a dissolution. In most cases, the respondent does not defend and the applicant can complete the acknowledgement of service (cp4).  This is the stage at which the applicant satisfies the court that he or she should be granted a civil partnership dissolution. This is done by sending the court a sworn statement, called an affidavit, in which the applicant tells the court that everything stated in the cause application is true and provides certain other information. If the Royal Court is satisfied with the paperwork it will grant a conditional order.

When will our civil partnership actually be dissolved?

A conditional order is not the final decree ending the partnership. It is the final order of dissolution which actually brings the partnership to an end.

Once six weeks have elapsed after the grant of a conditional order, the applicant can apply for a final order of dissolution.  If the applicant fails to apply for a final order of dissolution the other side will be able to apply.


“I feel I am saying goodbye to a friend.”

“I do wish it was within my power to pop in and thank you in person for all the hard work you have done to finalize this easily for me.  I feel I am saying goodbye to a friend.”

“You’ve done a great job”

“…… thank you to you and your team for helping me through such a stressful time.  You’ve done a great job and I am very pleased with the outcome.”